Our business in this world is not to succeed, but to continue to fail, in good spirits.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Perpetual devotion to what a man calls his business, is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things.
- Youth is the time to go flashing from one end of the world to the other to try the manners of different nations; to hear the chimes at midnight; to see the sunrise in town and country; to be converted at a revival; to circumnavigate the metaphysics, write halting verses, run a mile to see a fire, and wait all day long in the theatre to applaud Hernani.
- The world is full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.
- Night is a dead monotonous period under a roof; but in the open world it passes lightly, with its stars and dews and perfumes, and the hours are marked by changes in the face of Nature. What seems a kind of temporal death to people choked between walls and curtains, is only a light and living slumber to the man who sleeps afield.
- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you ought to prefer is to have kept your soul alive.
- Some people swallow the universe like a pill; they travel on through the world, like smiling images pushed from behind.