Familiarity is a magician that is cruel to beauty but kind to ugliness.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- A cruel story runs on wheels, and every hand oils the wheels as they run.
- To vice, innocence must always seem only a superior kind of chicanery.
- If all feeling for grace and beauty were not extinguished in the mass of mankind at the actual moment, such a method of locomotion as cycling could never have found acceptance; no man or woman with the slightest aesthetic sense could assume the ludicrous position necessary for it.
- Take hope from the heart of man and you make him a beast of prey.
- In a few generations more, there will probably be no room at all allowed for animals on the earth: no need of them, no toleration of them. An immense agony will have then ceased, but with it there will also have passed away the last smile of the world’s youth.
- Sport inevitably creates deadness of feeling. No one could take pleasure in it who was sensitive to suffering; and therefore its pursuit by women is much more to be regretted than its pursuit by men, because women pursue much more violently and recklessly what they pursue at all.