Only very slowly and late have men come to realize that unless freedom is universal it is only extended privilege.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Just as war is freedom’s cost, disagreement is freedom’s privilege.
- We clearly realize that freedom’s inner kingdom cannot be touched by exterior attacks.
- Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men.
- Nothing is more disgusting than the crowing about liberty by slaves, as most men are, and the flippant mistaking for freedom of some paper preamble like a Declaration of Independence, or the statute right to vote, by those who have never dared to think or to act.
- Women, like men, ought to have their youth so glutted with freedom they hate the very idea of freedom.
- When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of that old Negro spiritual, Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!