And what a delight it is to make friends with someone you have despised.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- My true friends have always given me that supreme proof of devotion, a spontaneous aversion for the man I loved.
- But just as delicate fare does not stop you from craving for saveloys, so tried and exquisite friendship does not take away your taste for something new and dubious.
- As for an authentic villain, the real thing, the absolute, the artist, one rarely meets him even once in a lifetime. The ordinary bad hat is always in part a decent fellow.
- Is suffering so very serious? I have come to doubt it. It may be quite childish, a sort of undignified pastime — I’m referring to the kind of suffering a man inflicts on a woman or a woman on a man. It’s extremely painful. I agree that it’s hardly bearable. But I very much fear that this sort of pain deserves no consideration at all. It’s no more worthy of respect than old age or illness.
- January, month of empty pockets! Let us endure this evil month, anxious as a theatrical producer’s forehead.
- Look for a long time at what pleases you, and a longer time at what pains you.