My true friends have always given me that supreme proof of devotion, a spontaneous aversion for the man I loved.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- And what a delight it is to make friends with someone you have despised.
- But just as delicate fare does not stop you from craving for saveloys, so tried and exquisite friendship does not take away your taste for something new and dubious.
- Sincerity is not a spontaneous flower nor is modesty either.
- It takes time for the absent to assume their true shape in our thoughts. After death they take on a firmer outline and then cease to change.
- Is suffering so very serious? I have come to doubt it. It may be quite childish, a sort of undignified pastime — I’m referring to the kind of suffering a man inflicts on a woman or a woman on a man. It’s extremely painful. I agree that it’s hardly bearable. But I very much fear that this sort of pain deserves no consideration at all. It’s no more worthy of respect than old age or illness.
- Can it be that chance has made me one of those women so immersed in one man that, whether they are barren or not, they carry with them to the grave the shriveled innocence of an old maid?