The man that hails you Tom or Jack, and proves by thumps upon your back how he esteems your merit, is such a friend, that one had need be very much his friend indeed to pardon or to bear it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Ceremony leads her bigots forth, prepared to fight for shadows of no worth. While truths, on which eternal things depend, can hardly find a single friend.
- A man renowned for repartee will seldom scruple to make free with friendship’s finest feeling, will thrust a dagger at your breast, and say he wounded you in jest, by way of balm for healing.
- A self-made man? Yes, and one who worships his creator.
- Man disavows, and Deity disowns me: hell might afford my miseries a shelter; therefore hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all bolted against me.
- Candid and generous and just. Boys care but little whom they trust. An error soon corrected — for who but learns in riper years. That man, when smoothest he appears, is most to be suspected?
- God made the country and man made the town.