There are three faithful friends, an old wife, an old dog, and ready money.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Friends and neighbors, the taxes are indeed very heavy, and if those laid on by the government were the only ones we had to pay, we might more easily discharge them; but we have many others, and much more grievous to some of us. We are taxed twice as much by our idleness, three times as much by our pride, and four times as much by our folly; and from these taxes the commissioners cannot ease or deliver us by allowing abatement.
- He that has done you a kindness will be more ready to do you another, than he whom you yourself have obliged.
- They that are on their guard and appear ready to receive their adversaries, are in much less danger of being attacked than the supine, secure and negligent.
- An undutiful daughter will prove an unmanageable wife.
- Never take a wife till thou hast a house (and a fire) to put her in.
- The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason.