Genius lasts longer than Beauty. That accounts for the fact that we all take such pains to over-educate ourselves.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
- I have nothing to declare except my genius.
- I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.
- Beauty is a form of genius — is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.
- There is something terribly morbid in the modern sympathy with pain. One should sympathize with the color, the beauty, the joy of life. The less said about life’s sores the better.
- The fact is, the public make use of the classics of a country as a means of checking the progress of Art. They degrade the classics into authorities. They use them as bludgeons for preventing the free expression of Beauty in new forms.