When of a gossiping circle it was asked, What are they doing? The answer was, Swapping lies.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There’s no possibility of being witty without a little ill-nature — the malice of a good thing is the barb that makes it stick.
- I open with a clock striking, to beget an awful attention in the audience — it also marks the time, which is four o clock in the morning, and saves a description of the rising sun, and a great deal about gilding the eastern hemisphere.
- Remember that when you meet your antagonist, to do everything in a mild agreeable manner. Let your courage be keen, but, at the same time, as polished as your sword.
- Modesty is a quality in a lover more praised by the women than liked.
- An unforgiving eye, and a damned disinheriting countenance!
- When delicate and feeling souls are separated, there is not a feature in the sky, not a movement of the elements, not an aspiration of the breeze, but hints some cause for a lover’s apprehension.