Gaiety –a quality of ordinary men. Genius always presupposes some disorder in the machine.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
- The decisions of law courts should never be printed: in the long run, they form a counter authority to the law.
- The arbitrary rule of a just and enlightened prince is always bad. His virtues are the most dangerous and the surest form of seduction: they lull a people imperceptibly into the habit of loving, respecting, and serving his successor, whoever that successor may be, no matter how wicked or stupid.
- The blood of Jesus Christ can cover a multitude of sins, it seems to me.
- No man has received from nature the right to give orders to others. Freedom is a gift from heaven, and every individual of the same species has the right to enjoy it as soon as he is in enjoyment of his reason.
- To attempt the destruction of our passions is the height of folly. What a noble aim is that of the zealot who tortures himself like a madman in order to desire nothing, love nothing, feel nothing, and who, if he succeeded, would end up a complete monster!