O Lord, wandering with thee, even hell itself would be to me a heaven of bliss.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- To appreciate heaven well, it’s good for a person to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
- Of all the inhabitants of the inferno, none but Lucifer knows that hell is hell, and the secret function of purgatory is to make of heaven an effective reality.
- Hell is out of fashion — institutional hells at any rate. The populated infernos of the 20th century are more private affairs, the gaps between the bars are the sutures of one’s own skull. A valid hell is one from which there is a possibility of redemption, even if this is never achieved, the dungeons of an architecture of grace whose spires point to some kind of heaven. The institutional hells of the present century are reached with one-way tickets, marked Nagasaki and Buchenwald, worlds of terminal horror even more final than the grave.
- When I go to hell, I mean to carry a bribe: for look you, good gifts evermore make way for the worst persons.
- It does not require a decision to go to hell.
- One of the horrors of hell is the undying memory of a misspent life.