History is strewn thick with evidence that a truth is not hard to kill, but a lie, well told, is immortal.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I never could tell a lie that anybody would doubt, nor a truth that anybody would believe.
- A lie can run around the world six times while the truth is still trying to put on its pants.
- A big leather-bound volume makes an ideal razor strap. A thin book is useful to stick under a table with a broken caster to steady it. A large, flat atlas can be used to cover a window with a broken pane. And a thick, old-fashioned heavy book with a clasp is the finest thing in the world to throw at a noisy cat.
- A good memory and a tongue tied in the middle is a combination which gives immortality to conversation.
- I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won t.
- One of the striking differences between a cat and a lie is that the cat has only nine lives.