No money is better spent than what is laid out for domestic satisfaction.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.
- It is wonderful when a calculation is made, how little the mind is actually employed in the discharge of any profession.
- Its proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot use exercise, and will not use abstinence.
- He that outlives a wife whom he has long loved, sees himself disjoined from the only mind that has the same hopes, and fears, and interest; from the only companion with whom he has shared much good and evil; and with whom he could set his mind at liberty, to retrace the past or anticipate the future. The continuity of being is lacerated; the settled course of sentiment and action is stopped; and life stands suspended and motionless.
- In all pointed sentences, some degree of accuracy must be sacrificed to conciseness.
- To be idle and to be poor have always been reproaches, and therefore every man endeavors with his utmost care to hide his poverty from others, and his idleness from himself.