I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character.
- Should not every apartment in which man dwells be lofty enough to create some obscurity overhead, where flickering shadows may play at evening about the rafters?
- I have never found a companion so companionable as solitude.
- I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone, I never found the companionable as solitude.
- I have a great deal of company in my house; especially in the morning, when nobody calls.
- If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.