The brotherhood of man is not a mere poet’s dream: it is a most depressing and humiliating reality.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
- It is because Humanity has never known where it was going that it has been able to find its way.
- Technique is really personality. That is the reason why the artist cannot teach it, why the pupil cannot learn it, and why the aesthetic critic can understand it. To the great poet, there is only one method of music — his own. To the great painter, there is only one manner of painting — that which he himself employs. The aesthetic critic, and the aesthetic critic alone, can appreciate all forms and all modes. It is to him that Art makes her appeal.
- The way of paradoxes is the way of truth. To test Reality we must see it on the tight-rope. When the Verities become acrobats we can judge them.
- No, Ernest, don’t talk about action. It is the last resource of those who know not how to dream.
- Action is the last resource of those who know not how to dream.