Painful for a person is rebellious independence, only in loving companionship with his associates does a person feel safe: Only in reverently bowing down before the higher does a person feel exalted.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- No person was every rightly understood until they had been first regarded with a certain feeling, not of tolerance, but of sympathy.
- In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
- Today is not yesterday: we ourselves change; how can our works and thoughts, if they are always to be the fittest, continue always the same? Change, indeed is painful; yet ever needful; and if memory have its force and worth, so also has hope.
- Genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains.
- Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together by the tie of sympathy.
- The only happiness a brave person ever troubles themselves in asking about, is happiness enough to get their work done.