The secret source of humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Humor must not professedly teach and it must not professedly preach, but it must do both if it would live forever.
- Wit and Humor — if any difference, it is in duration — lightning and electric light. Same material, apparently; but one is vivid, and can do damage — the other fools along and enjoys elaboration.
- I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious — except he purposely shut the eyes of his mind and keep them shut by force.
- Monarchies, aristocracies, and religions are all based upon that large defect in your race — the individual’s distrust of his neighbor, and his desire, for safety’s or comfort’s sake, to stand well in his neighbor’s eye. These institutions will always remain, and always flourish, and always oppress you, affront you, and degrade you, because you will always be and remain slaves of minorities. There was never a country where the majority of the people were in their secret hearts loyal to any of these institutions.
- Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
- On with dance, let joy be unconfined, is my motto; whether there’s any dance to dance or any joy to unconfined.