The savage bows down to idols of wood and stone: the civilized man to idols of flesh and blood.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The art of government is the organization of idolatry. The bureaucracy consists of functionaries; the aristocracy, of idols; the democracy, of idolaters. The populace cannot understand the bureaucracy: it can only worship the national idols.
- The camera can represent flesh so superbly that, if I dared, I would never photograph a figure without asking that figure to take its clothes off.
- In a battle all you need to make you fight is a little hot blood and the knowledge that it’s more dangerous to lose than to win.
- An election is a moral horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it.
- The universal regard for money is the one hopeful fact in our civilization. Money is the most important thing in the world. It represents health, strength, honor, generosity and beauty. Not the least of its virtues is that it destroys base people as certainly as it fortifies and dignifies noble people.
- When men have gone so far as to talk as though their idols have come to life, it is time that someone broke them.