The modern sympathy with invalids is morbid. Illness of any kind is hardly a thing to be encouraged in others.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There is much to be said in favor of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. By carefully chronicling the current events of contemporary life, it shows us of what very little importance such events really are. By invariably discussing the unnecessary, it makes us understand what things are requisite for culture, and what are not.
- No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style.
- Sympathy with joy intensifies the sum of sympathy in the world, sympathy with pain does not really diminish the amount of pain.
- The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence.
- Private information is practically the source of every large modern fortune.
- I dislike modern memoirs. They are generally written by people who have either entirely lost their memories, or have never done anything worth remembering.