Instinct. When the house burns one forgets even lunch. Yes, but one eats it later in the ashes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- We would not let ourselves be burned to death for our opinions: we are not sure enough of them for that. But perhaps for the right to have our opinions and to change them.
- The newspaper reader says: this party will ruin itself if it makes errors like this. My higher politics says: a party which makes errors like this is already finished — it is no longer secure in its instincts.
- To forget one’s purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.
- Man… cannot learn to forget, but hangs on the past: however far or fast he runs, that chain runs with him.
- In the beautiful, man sets himself up as the standard of perfection; in select cases he worships himself in it. Man believes that the world itself is filled with beauty –he forgets that it is he who has created it. He alone has bestowed beauty upon the world –alas! only a very human, an all too human, beauty.
- Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood.