With an evening coat and a white tie, anybody, even a stock broker, can gain a reputation for being civilized.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I do not regard a broker as a member of the human race.
- One can survive everything nowadays, except death, and live down anything except a good reputation.
- The liar at any rate recognizes that recreation, not instruction, is the aim of conversation, and is a far more civilized being than the blockhead who loudly expresses his disbelief in a story which is told simply for the amusement of the company.
- Talk to every woman as if you loved her, and to every man as if he bored you, and at the end of your first season you will have the reputation of possessing the most perfect social tact.
- To have the reputation of possessing the most perfect social tact, talk to every woman as if you loved her, and to every man as if he bored you.
- That is what the highest criticism really is, the record of one’s own soul. It is more fascinating than history, as it is concerned simply with oneself. It is more delightful than philosophy, as its subject is concrete and not abstract, real and not vague. It is the only civilized form of autobiography.