We should burn all libraries and allow to remain only that which everyone knows by heart. A beautiful age of the legend would then begin.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The symbolic view of things is a consequence of long absorption in images. Is sign language the real language of Paradise?
- Everywhere, the ethical predicament of our time imposes itself with an urgency which suggests that even the question Have we anything to eat? will be answered not in material but in ethical terms.
- Madam, a circulating library in a town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge; it blossoms through the year. And depend on it that they who are so fond of handling the leaves, will long for the fruit at last.
- A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.
- The quantity of books in a person’s library, is often a cloud of witnesses to the ignorance of the owner.
- Be a little careful about your library. Do you foresee what you will do with it? Very little to be sure. But the real question is, What it will do with you? You will come here and get books that will open your eyes, and your ears, and your curiosity, and turn you inside out or outside in.