We have long forgotten the ritual by which the house of our life was erected. But when it is under assault and enemy bombs are already taking their toll, what enervated, perverse antiquities do they not lay bare in the foundations.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The construction of life is at present in the power of facts far more than convictions.
- Reminiscences, even extensive ones, do not always amount to an autobiography. For autobiography has to do with time, with sequence and what makes up the continuous flow of life. Here, I am talking of a space, of moments and discontinuities. For even if months and years appear here, it is in the form they have in the moment of recollection. This strange form — it may be called fleeting or eternal — is in neither case the stuff that life is made of.
- Counsel woven into the fabric of real life is wisdom.
- The destructive character lives from the feeling, not that life is worth living, but that suicide is not worth the trouble.
- Taking food alone tends to make one hard and coarse. Those accustomed to it must lead a Spartan life if they are not to go downhill. Hermits have observed, if for only this reason, a frugal diet. For it is only in company that eating is done justice; food must be divided and distributed if it is to be well received.
- Like ultraviolet rays memory shows to each man in the book of life a script that invisibly and prophetically glosses the text.