Life is an earnest business, and no one every became good or great on a diet of broad grins.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Let your rule in reference to your social desires be this. Pray for the bad, pity the weak, enjoy the good, and reverence both the great and the small, as each playing their part in the divine symphony of the universe.
- The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.
- Read nothing that you do not care to remember, and remember nothing you do not mean to use.
- Living, just by itself — what a dirge that is! Life is a classroom and Boredom’s the usher, there all the time to spy on you; whatever happens, you’ve got to look as if you were awfully busy all the time doing something that’s terribly exciting –or he’ll come along and nibble your brain.
- Life is a glass given to us to fill; a busy life is filling it with as much as it can hold; a hurried life has had more poured into it than it can contain.
- Life is an uphill business for the guy who’s not on the level.