If one considered life as a simple loan, one would perhaps be less exacting. We possess actually nothing; everything goes through us.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- What makes men of genius, or rather, what they make, is not new ideas, it is that idea — possessing them — that what has been said has still not been said enough.
- Do all the work you can; that is the whole philosophy of the good way of life.
- Experience has two things to teach. The first is that we must correct a great deal and the second, that we must not correct too much.
- Mediocre people have an answer for everything and are astonished at nothing. They always want to have the air of knowing better than you what you are going to tell them; when, in their turn, they begin to speak, they repeat to you with the greatest confidence, as if dealing with their own property, the things that they have heard you say yourself at some other place. A capable and superior look is the natural accompaniment of this type of character.
- I live in company with a body, a silent companion, exacting and eternal. He it is who notes that individuality which is the seal of the weakness of our race. My soul has wings, but the brutal jailer is strict.
- A taste for simplicity cannot endure for long.