Every little girl knows about love. It is only her capacity to suffer because of it that increases.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Writing is a question of finding a certain rhythm. I compare it to the rhythms of jazz. Much of the time life is a sort of rhythmic progression of three characters. If one tells oneself that life is like that, one feels it less arbitrary.
- Of course the illusion of art is to make one believe that great literature is very close to life, but exactly the opposite is true. Life is amorphous, literature is formal.
- To jealousy, nothing is more frightful than laughter.
- Jazz music is an intensified feeling of nonchalance.
- It seems to me that there are two kinds of trickery: the fronts people assume before one another’s eyes, and the front a writer puts on the face of reality.
- It is easier to guard a sack full of fleas than a girl in love.