The fickleness of the women I love is only equaled by the infernal constancy of the women who love me.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- First love is only a little foolishness and a lot of curiosity: no really self-respecting woman would take advantage of it.
- Englishmen hate Liberty and Equality too much to understand them. But every Englishman loves a pedigree.
- That is the whole secret of successful fighting. Get your enemy at a disadvantage; and never, on any account, fight him on equal terms.
- Between persons of equal income there is no social distinction except the distinction of merit. Money is nothing: character, conduct, and capacity are everything. There would be great people and ordinary people and little people, but the great would always be those who had done great things, and never the idiots whose mothers had spoiled them and whose fathers had left them a hundred thousand a year; and the little would be persons of small minds and mean characters, and not poor persons who had never had a chance. That is why idiots are always in favor of inequality of income (their only chance of eminence), and the really great in favor of equality.
- Physically there is nothing to distinguish human society from the farm-yard except that children are more troublesome and costly than chickens and calves and that men and women are not so completely enslaved as farm stock.
- Clever and attractive women do not want to vote; they are willing to let men govern as long as they govern men.