Of all the dramatic media, radio is the most visual.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a school of inattention: people look without seeing, listen in without hearing.
- The corporate grip on opinion in the United States is one of the wonders of the Western World. No First World country has ever managed to eliminate so entirely from its media all objectivity — much less dissent.
- If I use the media, even with tricks, to publicize a black youth being shot in the back in Teaneck, New Jersey… then I should be praised for it, and it’s more of a comment on them than me that it would take tricks to make them cover the loss of life.
- Commercial jazz, soap opera, pulp fiction, comic strips, the movies set the images, mannerisms, standards, and aims of the urban masses. In one way or another, everyone is equal before these cultural machines; like technology itself, the mass media are nearly universal in their incidence and appeal. They are a kind of common denominator, a kind of scheme for pre-scheduled, mass emotions.
- Media is just a word that has come to mean bad journalism.
- The United States is unusual among the industrial democracies in the rigidity of the system of ideological control — indoctrination, we might say — exercised through the mass media.