The tyranny of a multitude is a multiplied tyranny.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Bad laws are the worst form of tyranny.
- A populace never rebels from passion for attack, but from impatience of suffering.
- Manners are of more importance than laws. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in.
- A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman.
- Society is indeed a contract. It is a partnership in all science; a partnership in all art; a partnership in every virtue, and in all perfection. As the ends of such a partnership cannot be obtained in many generations, it becomes a partnership not only between those who are living, but between those who are living, those who are dead, and those who are to be born.
- A nation is not conquered which is perpetually to be conquered.