I don’t think we can ignore the Modern Movement. But I wouldn’t have minded at all if it hadn’t happened. I think the world would be a much nicer place.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The modern mind is in complete disarray. Knowledge has stretched itself to the point where neither the world nor our intelligence can find any foot-hold. It is a fact that we are suffering from nihilism.
- Don’t bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid.
- Modernism may be seen as an attempt to reconstruct the world in the absence of God.
- You don’t have to be old in America to say of a world you lived in: That world is gone.
- The postmodern reply to the modern consists of recognizing that the past, since it cannot really be destroyed, because its destruction leads to silence, must be revisited: but with irony, not innocently. I think of the postmodern attitude as that of a man who loves a very cultivated woman and knows he cannot say to her, I love you madly, because he knows that she knows (and that she knows that he knows) that these words have already been written by Barbara Cartland. Still, there is a solution. He can say, As Barbara Cartland would put it, I love you madly.
- A work can become modern only if it is first postmodern. Postmodernism thus understood is not modernism at its end but in the nascent state, and this state is constant.