A great fortune is a great slavery.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- But it is a pretty thing to see what money will do!
- Slavery takes hold of few, but many take hold of slavery.
- Freedom is not being a slave to any circumstance, to any constraint, to any chance; it means compelling Fortune to enter the lists on equal terms.
- The mind is a matter over every kind of fortune; itself acts in both ways, being the cause of its own happiness and misery.
- Fortune can take away riches, but not courage.
- Happy the man who can endure the highest and the lowest fortune. He, who has endured such vicissitudes with equanimity, has deprived misfortune of its power.