The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable.
- Morality is suspecting other people of not being legally married.
- No man who is occupied in doing a very difficult thing, and doing it very well, ever loses his self-respect.
- Dying is a troublesome business: there is pain to be suffered, and it wrings one’s heart; but death is a splendid thing –a warfare accomplished, a beginning all over again, a triumph. You can always see that in their faces.
- No king on earth is as safe in his job as a Trade Union official. There is only one thing that can get him sacked; and that is drink. Not even that, as long as he doesn’t actually fall down.
- Find enough clever things to say, and you’re a Prime Minister; write them down and you’re a Shakespeare.