Patriotism is a lively sense of collective responsibility. Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on its own dunghill and calling for larger spurs and brighter beaks. I fear that nationalism is one of England’s many spurious gifts to the world.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees is the high road that leads him to England.
- England is paradise for women, and hell for horses: Italy is a paradise for horses, hell for women.
- England is the paradise of women, the purgatory of men, and the hell of horses.
- If you want to eat well in England, eat three breakfasts.
- No man has a right to fix the boundary of the march of a nation; no man has a right to say to his country, Thus far shalt thou go and no further.
- Without country you have neither name, token, voice, nor rights, no admission as brothers into the fellowship of the Peoples. You are the bastards of Humanity. Soldiers without a banner, Israelites among the nations, you will find neither faith nor protection; none will be sureties for you. Do not beguile yourselves with the hope of emancipation from unjust social conditions if you do not first conquer a Country for yourselves.