A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering what average opinion believes average opinion to be…
- Nothing mattered except states of mind, chiefly our own.
- The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.
- Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought on the unthinking.
- It is better that a man should tyrannize over his bank balance than over his fellow-citizens and whilst the former is sometimes denounced as being but a means to the latter, sometimes at least it is an alternative.
- The importance of money flows from it being a link between the present and the future.