It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself, and because all his thoughts are of things which they devour.
- We know too much and feel too little. At least, we feel too little of those creative emotions from which a good life springs.
- The main things which seem to me important on their own account, and not merely as a means to other account, and not merely as a means to other things, are knowledge, art instinctive happiness, and relations of friendship or affection.
- Bad philosophers may have a certain influence; good philosophers, never.
- Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.
- Many people when they fall in love look for a little haven of refuge from the world, where they can be sure of being admired when they are not admirable, and praised when they are not praiseworthy.