It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
- Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, the chief glory of man.
- Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth more than ruin more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
- The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment.
- A process which led from the amoebae to man appeared to the philosophers to be obviously a progress — though whether the amoebae would agree with this opinion is not known.
- Can a society in which thought and technique are scientific persist for a long period, as, for example, ancient Egypt persisted, or does it necessarily contain within itself forces which must bring either decay or explosion?