Love of country is like love of woman — he loves her best who seeks to bestow on her the highest good.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The family is the school of duties… founded on love.
- The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.
- The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
- O my Brothers! love your Country. Our Country is our home, the home which God has given us, placing therein a numerous family which we love and are loved by, and with which we have a more intimate and quicker communion of feeling and thought than with others; a family which by its concentration upon a given spot, and by the homogeneous nature of its elements, is destined for a special kind of activity.
- I wonder that we Americans love our country at all, it having no limits and no oneness; and when you try to make it a matter of the heart, everything falls away except one’s native State; –neither can you seize hold of that, unless you tear it out of the Union, bleeding and quivering.
- Though I love my country, I do not love my countrymen.