The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Perhaps it is of more value to infuriate philosophers than to go along with them.
- The poet is the priest of the invisible.
- Thought is an infection. In the case of certain thoughts, it becomes an epidemic.
- Style is not something applied. It is something that permeates. It is of the nature of that in which it is found, whether the poem, the manner of a god, the bearing of a man. It is not a dress.
- It is the unknown that excites the ardor of scholars, who, in the known alone, would shrivel up with boredom.
- I can’t make head or tail of Life. Love is a fine thing, Art is a fine thing, Nature is a fine thing; but the average human mind and spirit are confusing beyond measure. Sometimes I think that all our learning is the little learning of the maxim. To laugh at a Roman awe-stricken in a sacred grove is to laugh at something today.