The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
- Of course the music is a great difficulty. You see, if one plays good music, people don’t listen, and if one plays bad music people don’t talk.
- The intellect is not a serious thing, and never has been. It is an instrument on which one plays, that is all.
- The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat.
- One should always play fair when one has the winning cards.
- The great things in life are what they seem to be. And for that reason, strange as it may sound to you, often are very difficult to interpret (understand). Great passion are for the great of souls. Great events can only be seen by people who are on a level with them. We think we can have our visions for nothing. We cannot. Even the finest and most self-sacrificing visions have to paid for. Strangely enough, that is what makes them fine.