A politician will do anything to keep his job, even become a patriot.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The ordinary politician has a very low estimate of human nature. In his daily life he comes into contact chiefly with persons who want to get something or to avoid something. Beyond this circle of seekers after privileges, individuals and organized minorities, he is aware of a large unorganized, indifferent mass of citizens who ask nothing in particular and rarely complain. The politician comes after a while to think that the art of politics is to satisfy the seekers after favors and to mollify the inchoate mass with noble sentiments and patriotic phrases.
- One has to be a lowbrow, a bit of a murderer, to be a politician, ready and willing to see people sacrificed, slaughtered, for the sake of an idea, whether a good one or a bad one.
- A politician would do well to remember that he has to live with his conscience longer than he does with his constituents.
- A politician divides mankind into two classes; tools and enemies.
- Since a politician never believes what he says, he is surprised when others believe him.
- In Mexico an air conditioner is called a politician because it makes a lot of noise but doesn’t work very well.