A politician will do anything to keep his job, even become a patriot.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Don’t be afraid to make a mistake, your readers might like it.
- In suggesting gifts: Money is appropriate, and one size fits all.
- People with high ideals don’t necessarily make good politicians. If clean politics is so important, we should leave the job to scientists and the clergy.
- The ordinary politician has a very low estimate of human nature. In his daily life he comes into contact chiefly with persons who want to get something or to avoid something. Beyond this circle of seekers after privileges, individuals and organized minorities, he is aware of a large unorganized, indifferent mass of citizens who ask nothing in particular and rarely complain. The politician comes after a while to think that the art of politics is to satisfy the seekers after favors and to mollify the inchoate mass with noble sentiments and patriotic phrases.
- Don’t fall in love with politicians, they’re all a disappointment. They can’t help it, they just are.
- One has to be a lowbrow, a bit of a murderer, to be a politician, ready and willing to see people sacrificed, slaughtered, for the sake of an idea, whether a good one or a bad one.