Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- True humor springs not more from the head than from the heart. It is not contempt; its essence is love. It issues not in laughter, but in still smiles, which lie far deeper.
- Wonderful Force of Public Opinion! We must act and walk in all points as it prescribes; follow the traffic it bids us, realize the sum of money, the degree of influence it expects of us, or we shall be lightly esteemed; certain mouthfuls of articulate wind will be blown at us, and this what mortal courage can front?
- Every new opinion, at its starting, is precisely in a minority of one.
- For the superior morality, of which we hear so much, we too would desire to be thankful: at the same time, it were but blindness to deny that this superior morality is properly rather an inferior criminality, produced not by greater love of Virtue, but by greater perfection of Police; and of that far subtler and stronger Police, called Public Opinion.
- Of all acts of man repentance is the most divine. The greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none.
- The greatest of all faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none.