Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- True humor springs not more from the head than from the heart. It is not contempt; its essence is love. It issues not in laughter, but in still smiles, which lie far deeper.
- For the superior morality, of which we hear so much, we too would desire to be thankful: at the same time, it were but blindness to deny that this superior morality is properly rather an inferior criminality, produced not by greater love of Virtue, but by greater perfection of Police; and of that far subtler and stronger Police, called Public Opinion.
- Every new opinion, at its starting, is precisely in a minority of one.
- Wonderful Force of Public Opinion! We must act and walk in all points as it prescribes; follow the traffic it bids us, realize the sum of money, the degree of influence it expects of us, or we shall be lightly esteemed; certain mouthfuls of articulate wind will be blown at us, and this what mortal courage can front?
- Of all acts of man repentance is the most divine. The greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none.
- What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books.