The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- It’s very hard to be a gentleman and a writer.
- What has influenced my life more than any other single thing has been my stammer. Had I not stammered I would probably… have gone to Cambridge as my brothers did, perhaps have become a don and every now and then published a dreary book about French literature.
- Tradition is a guide and not a jailer.
- If forty million people say a foolish thing it does not become a wise one, but the wise man is foolish to give them the lie.
- I can imagine no more comfortable frame of mind for the conduct of life than a humorous resignation.
- It is unfair to expect a politician to live in private up to the statements he makes in public.