Religion, oh, just another of those numerous failures resulting from an attempt to popularize art.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- A heroic figure… not wholly to blame for the religion that’s been foisted on him.
- The act of bell ringing is symbolic of all proselytizing religions. It implies the pointless interference with the quiet of other people.
- Gloom and solemnity are entirely out of place in even the most rigorous study of an art originally intended to make glad the heart of man.
- If a patron buys from an artist who needs money (needs money to buy tools, time, food), the patron then makes himself equal to the artist; he is building art into the world; he creates.
- It ought to be illegal for an artist to marry. If the artist must marry let him find someone more interested in art, or his art, or the artist part of him, than in him. After which let them take tea together three times a week.
- The art of letters will come to an end before A.D. 2000. I shall survive as a curiosity.