That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The rich man is always sold to the institution which makes him rich. Absolutely speaking, the more money, the less virtue.
- However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are the richest.
- The pleasure we feel in music springs from the obedience which is in it.
- To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour.
- The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? You may say the wisest thing you can, old man, — you who have lived seventy years, not without honor of a kind, — I hear an irresistible voice which invites me away from all that.
- A man thinks as well through his legs and arms as this brain.