Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the devil; for which reason I have long since as good as renounced it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I grow daily to honor facts more and more, and theory less and less. A fact, it seems to me, is a great thing — a sentence printed, if not by God, then at least by the Devil.
- The devil has his elect.
- Not on morality, but on cookery, let us build our stronghold: there brandishing our frying-pan, as censer, let us offer sweet incense to the Devil, and live at ease on the fat things he has provided for his elect!
- Thought once awakened does not again slumber; unfolds itself into a System of Thought; grows, in man after man, generation after generation, –till its full stature is reached, and such System of Thought can grow no farther, but must give place to another.
- Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of a man you are. It shows me what your ideal of manhood is, and what kind of a man you long to be.
- Real good breeding, as the people have it here, is one of the finest things now going in the world. The careful avoidance of all discussion, the swift hopping from topic to topic, does not agree with me; but the graceful style they do it with is beyond that of minuets!