Our disputants put me in mind of the cuttlefish that, when he is unable to extricate himself, blackens the water about him till he becomes invisible.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Mirth is like a flash of lightning, that breaks through a gloom of clouds, and glitters for a moment; cheerfulness keeps up a kind of daylight in the mind, and fills it with a steady and perpetual serenity.
- A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world.
- Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health and is as friendly to the mind as to the body.
- The truth of it is, learning, like travelling, and all other methods of improvement, as it finishes good sense, so it makes a silly man ten thousand times more insufferable, by supplying variety of matter to his impertinence, and giving him an opportunity of abounding in absurdities.
- A perfect tragedy is the noblest production of human nature.
- A day, an hour of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity in bondage.