Solitude is dangerous to reason, without being favorable to virtue. Remember that the solitary mortal is certainly luxurious, probably superstitious, and possibly mad.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- If you are idle, be not solitary; if you are solitary, be not idle.
- Piety practiced in solitude, like the flower that blooms in the desert, may give its fragrance to the winds of heaven, and delight those unbodied spirits that survey the works of God and the actions of men; but it bestows no assistance upon earthly beings, and however free from taints of impurity, yet wants the sacred splendor of beneficence.
- As to the rout that is made about people who are ruined by extravagance, it is no matter to the nation that some individuals suffer. When so much general productive exertion is the consequence of luxury, the nation does not care though there are debtors; nay, they would not care though their creditors were there too.
- Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.
- Security will produce danger.
- The return of my birthday, if I remember it, fills me with thoughts which it seems to be the general care of humanity to escape.