A man who suffers before it is necessary, suffers more than is necessary.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- What was hard to suffer is sweet to remember.
- There are more things to alarm us than to harm us, and we suffer more often in apprehension than reality.
- We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.
- It is medicine, not scenery, for which a sick man must go searching.
- True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The great blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.
- If a man knows not what harbor he seeks, any wind is the right wind.