The only thing that should surprise us is that there are still some things that can surprise us.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Why is our memory good enough to recall to the last detail things that have happened to us, yet not good enough to recall how often we have told them to the same person.
- The shame that arises from praise which we do not deserve often makes us do things we should otherwise never have attempted.
- The one thing people are the most liberal with, is their advice.
- Nothing is impossible; there are ways that lead to everything, and if we had sufficient will we should always have sufficient means. It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible.
- There is such a thing as a general revolution which changes the taste of men as it changes the fortunes of the world.
- The height of ability consists in a thorough knowledge of the real value of things, and of the genius of the age in which we live.