The only thing that should surprise us is that there are still some things that can surprise us.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- We have more ability than will power, and it is often an excuse to ourselves that we imagine that things are impossible.
- There is a kind of elevation which does not depend on fortune; it is a certain air which distinguishes us, and seems to destine us for great things; it is a price which we imperceptibly set upon ourselves.
- What is called generosity is usually only the vanity of giving; we enjoy the vanity more than the thing given.
- The shame that arises from praise which we do not deserve often makes us do things we should otherwise never have attempted.
- There is such a thing as a general revolution which changes the taste of men as it changes the fortunes of the world.
- It is great folly to wish to be wise all alone.