The only successful revolution of this century is totalitarianism.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There is a totalitarian regime inside every one of us. We are ruled by a ruthless politburo which sets our norms and drives us from one five-year plan to another. The autonomous individual who has to justify his existence by his own efforts is in eternal bondage to himself.
- Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.
- Totalitarianism is never content to rule by external means, namely, through the state and a machinery of violence; thanks to its peculiar ideology and the role assigned to it in this apparatus of coercion, totalitarianism has discovered a means of dominating and terrorizing human beings from within.
- Man is a curious animal. You can hide the truth from him temporarily, but not for ever.
- Since it is difficult to join them together, it is safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking.
- Without general elections, without unrestricted freedom of press and assembly, without a free struggle of opinion, life dies out in every public institution, becomes a mere semblance of life, in which only the bureaucracy remains as the active element. Public life gradually falls asleep, a few dozen party leaders of inexhaustible energy and boundless experience direct and rule. Such conditions must inevitably cause a brutalization of public life: attempted assassinations, shootings of hostages, etc.