A man may be in as just possession of truth as of a city, and yet be forced to surrender.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Man is a noble animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave.
- Charity But how shall we expect charity towards others, when we are uncharitable to ourselves? Charity begins at home, is the voice of the world; yet is every man his greatest enemy, and, as it were, his own executioner.
- We term sleep a death by which we may be literally said to die daily; in fine, so like death, I dare not trust it without my prayers.
- As reason is a rebel to faith, so passion is a rebel to reason.
- Obstinacy in a bad cause is but constancy in a good.
- Come, fair repentance, daughter of the skies! Soft harbinger of soon returning virtue; The weeping messenger of grace from heaven.